1. Computing
Daniel Nations

What is Vudu? Is Vudu Worth It?

By August 11, 2011

If you have never heard of Vudu, or perhaps only heard of them in the last few days, you aren't alone. The Wal-Mart-owned video streaming service doesn't have quite the same name recognition as Netflix or Hulu Plus, despite being around for several years now.

Vudu is an online streaming movie service that bears more resemblance to iTunes than Netflix or Hulu Plus. Rather than stream movies based on a monthly subscription, you are able to rent individual titles in either standard definition or high definition. And if you really like a movie, you can purchase it outright.

Vudu recently gave its website an HTML 5 makeover, which gives it an app-like feel within the browser. This allowed Vudu to bring its service to the iPad without submitting an app to the app store. Apple has long been a staunch supporter of the emerging HTML 5 standard, and their Safari browser is one of the early adopters of the standard.

Netflix vs Hulu Plus

Is Vudu Worth It?

So, should you switch over to Vudu? Is it time to flush those Netflix and Hulu Plus subscriptions? Are we entering a post-iTunes movie-watching world?

Not exactly. While Vudu boasts the most HD movies of any online streaming site, anyone hoping they'll get a Wal-Mart-style discount on those movies will be sadly disappointed. While they definitely offer more titles in high definition than iTunes, the pricing is about the same. In some instances, you might find a title cheaper on Vudu, and at other times, you might find one cheaper on iTunes. But you won't find any major savings.

Watch Movies for Free With Crackle

Is Vudu a Better Deal Than Netflix?

Vudu likes to brag about getting rentals quicker than Netflix, but if you watch a lot of movies, it is definitely more expensive. For the cost of two rentals on Vudu, you could have a subscription to the Netflix streaming service and watch as many of their streaming titles as you want. Do you watch five or more movies in a month? You'll rack up the same costs as having both the unlimited streaming plan at Netflix plus the ability to have two DvDs out at a time.

Vudu does get movies quicker than Netflix. But Netflix also has a wider selection available for streaming, and between the streaming service and the subscription service, you'll save a lot more money. After all, for those newly released movies for which you simply can't wait until they hit Netflix, there is always Redbox.

I put Vudu in the same classification as iTunes rentals and on-demand movies from my cable provider: simply too expensive to use compared to the competition. They are great for the occasional"must see" movie or the "totally bored" night, but for regular usage, Netflix still blows them out of the water.

The Top iPad Apps for Streaming Movies and TV

Follow me on Twitter: @DanielNations

Comments
August 12, 2011 at 1:41 pm
(1) Emma - Chicago says:

What about monthly fees? How much does this cost?
I’ve been using TVDevo website which has no monthly fees, but Vudu might be worth considering too if there are no monthly fees.

November 28, 2011 at 6:43 pm
(2) Greg says:

Hunh… I hope you’re kidding, but this is your blog post, so I assume you’re not.

I just searched for 10 recent movies on Vudu, iTunes, and Netflix. All 10 were available on iTunes. All 10 were available on Vudu. Not a single one of them was available on Netflix for streaming.

Super 8
XMen First Class
Something Borrowed
Sarah’s Key
Larry Crowne
Horrible Bosses
Crazy Stupid Love
Captain America
Beauty and the Beast (Disney)
Water for Elephants.

Netflix is pathetic.

December 21, 2011 at 11:51 pm
(3) Me says:

Greg is either a moron, or illiterate. You just told him that VuDu gets movies quicker.

December 31, 2011 at 2:32 am
(4) Greg's Brother says:

Greg has always been the slow one in the family.

February 25, 2012 at 4:08 pm
(5) Greg's Sister says:

Thats why he rides the short bus. Love you lil bro

March 17, 2012 at 3:51 pm
(6) Greg's Mother says:

Don’t be picking on your brother.

April 18, 2012 at 10:42 am
(7) Greg's Father says:

You guys stop bickering. Greg, your penis will always be smaller than mine. Your mother can barely take it.

July 26, 2012 at 10:24 am
(8) Greg's Grandmother says:

No more $1 dollar bills in birthday card Gregory.

July 30, 2012 at 9:55 pm
(9) Santa Ana CNC Machining says:

I have been surfing on-line more than 3 hours as of late, but I never found any fascinating article like yours. It is pretty value sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made good content material as you probably did, the net shall be much more useful than ever before.

November 10, 2012 at 10:36 am
(10) Manny says:

Lol hilarious ya are

November 30, 2012 at 8:51 pm
(11) Steph says:

Hahaha oh my

December 13, 2012 at 10:03 pm
(12) The REAL Greg! says:

That wasn’t even me up there!!! I hate all of those movies! Marsha got on my laptop and wrote that! Gee, you should see what she wrote on my Facebook!!!

June 15, 2013 at 10:49 am
(13) Greg says:

Im sorry I should have never posted those movies. Stop making fun of me :/

July 6, 2013 at 12:00 pm
(14) itsnobody says:

Greg is right, Netflix sucks, it’s selection is terrible.

Most of the old movies and TV shows you pay for with Netflix you can already watch for free online (just check tv.com).

Netflix sucks, Netflix fanboys suck, but wait Neflix has those movies Greg posted (nearly 2 years ago) now (nearly 2 years after), lol.

July 6, 2013 at 12:42 pm
(15) itsnobody says:

Correction, as of July 6th, 2013 (more than 1 year and 7 months since Greg’s post)

Netflix still does not have these online:
- X-Men: First Class
- Something Borrowed
- Larry Crowne
- Horrible Bosses
- Crazy Stupid Love
- Water for Elephants

If you subtract the material you can watch already for free legally online (check tv.com) then Netflix’s selection is terrible, they are just ripping people off.

August 22, 2013 at 9:05 pm
(16) George says:

Netflix has a smaller selection, but it is cheaper. It doesn’t matter that Vudu has more if you have to pay for each one of those titles. Might as well just download any movie you want anyways and watch them for free on a jail broken Apple TV lol.

September 3, 2013 at 2:28 pm
(17) Josh says:

How old is this acticle? I just started using vudu, plus i have Netflix. Netflix is good for watching tv shows but for new movies… You can just stream a new release movie like you can with vudu. Plus with vudu i can finally use my ultraviolet codes and store movies. If you have the streaming package of Netflix then you know you see a lot of movies but not a whole lot worth watching. With vudu i can watch the movies i want and have my personal collection right there, ready for me to watch. Now that it seems like i bashing Netflix… Im really not. When im ready to catch up on doctor who, i jump on Netflix. So far i enjoy vudu way better then going to a redbox hoping they have my movie… The whole reason i started vudu was because redbox was slow on there movie release and now i don’t have to waste gas and now driving to return. Hope this helps people, i think vudu is going in the right direction and i expect improvement to make it even better .

September 3, 2013 at 2:35 pm
(18) Vudu Rocks says:

McLovin me some Vudu!

September 3, 2013 at 2:39 pm
(19) Tim says:

I agree, love Vudu!

September 3, 2013 at 2:41 pm
(20) G says:

fan of Vudu, Netflix is ok

September 17, 2013 at 10:28 pm
(21) itsnobody says:

Netflix is terrible, it’s around $96/year for stuff that people don’t want to watch or can already watch legally free online.

Amazon Instant is $79/year with a free selection about equal to Netflix’s plus free 2-day shipping and the option to buy/rent other movies (with a huge selection to choose from), so it’s a bit better but it’s quality tops off at 720p.

Vudu is expensive, but has the 1080p quality and selection which makes it perfect for special occasions or people with money.

So it all depends on what you’re looking for, but overall Netflix is the worst choice.

I would prefer to spend $96/year on movies that I actually want to watch.

Netflix has more than 23 million customers in the US meaning they make at least $184 million in sales every month, so what’s preventing them from having a better service?

It’s just a rip off, people should boycott Netflix immediately!

January 25, 2014 at 5:05 pm
(22) Mecha says:

Wow……….just wow..

Let me brek it down for you.

Anytime a company like Netflix or Vudu gets a movie they have to pay royalty fees to use and promote the movie.
Netflix is the best to me (i.e. IN MY OPION) for these reasons.
What happens is the companies that own the rights to movies (like waner bro.s & paramount) do not want to have these films constantly streaming because they loose thousands of dollars in sales.
These said companies then tried to cold shoulder Netflix out and refused to sell them royalties to higher grossing movies.
Netflix, in retaliation started to create exclusive streaming series like Arrested Devolpment, Orange is the New Black and Hemlock Grove. I love all three of these series.

Its all about money. Educate yourself “Gregs”.

March 18, 2014 at 2:29 pm
(23) kedakat says:

Netflix is good because you only pay 799 vudu is horrible because you have to pay that per movieeven if its not that amount they’re over pricing if I want to buy a movie I’ll just go to the store and get it our order offline and is still cheaper they should make a monthly fee if they want to charge more cool but at least make it a monthly fee instead of individualpricing for movies I hate touch screens

March 30, 2014 at 4:51 am
(24) Dark Shroud says:

I’ve been using Vudu for a few years now and love it. They have the best quality streaming. I use them for my Ultraviolet movies and I like their disc to digital service for movies that don’t have Ultraviolet.