1. Computing
Daniel Nations

Do You Like the New App Store?

By September 21, 2012

I admit, my first impression of the newly redesigned App Store that debuted with iOS 6.0 was not a good one. It was slow, which I could forgive given the amount of traffic hitting Apple's servers with the update's release, and it was... different.

There's good and bad to be found on the new App Store. It allows for your to download an app without being kicked out of the App Store, and the new color scheme is definitely easier on the eyes. But while the display of a screenshot in each app's tab on the search screen is nice, it also means you can only see six apps displayed on the screen rather than twelve.

The app detail screen has been redesigned, with ratings and reviews moved to its own tab and the screenshots moved up before the description. This means those that like to check out the ratings breakdown and a few reviews will need to check out an additional page.

The Categories tab has also disappeared. This page might seem a little redundant when you consider the Charts page showed much of the same information, but the Categories page was a great way to check out new apps in each category. Now, we'll have to either rely on the Features page -- which is a very truncated list of new apps -- or download a third-party solution like AppShopper.

But while the Categories page will be missed, gamers will be interested to know that games listed in the Charts page are now broken down into different categories. This has existed on the iPhone's App Store for years, and it finally comes to the iPad.

So what are your impressions of the App Store? Feel free to vote your two cents in the poll.

Top 6 New Features of iOS 6

Comments
September 21, 2012 at 2:02 pm
(1) Lynn says:

I absolutely HATE the new design. It is almost impossible to browse new apps only (all the new apps-not just the newsworthy ones. You cannot see the whole page, because part of it is cut off. It is also not visually impaired friendly-the new color scheme and tiny print makes it very difficult for those with impaired vision to read!

September 21, 2012 at 4:46 pm
(2) Jono says:

As a Developer, it sucks big time! I don’t have the big bucks to advertise my app, and the feature spots seem to be reserved for big name publisher now-a-days. And what did Apple go and do? Knock off the New Releases section! WTF!!!

September 21, 2012 at 7:10 pm
(3) Cory says:

The category’s page is still there. Just go to the featured page and press “catagories” in the top left corner.

September 23, 2012 at 10:43 am
(4) DJ says:

It is so painfully slow. I can adjust to deal with the other changes. I have long since turned away from the App Store for discovering apps, but the speed is killing me.

September 23, 2012 at 11:05 am
(5) Agustin says:

The appstore was the first reason why I chose iOS over Android, now its the worst application store that exists…
When you search for apps, the appstore crashes and now you cant choose which app to look at, you have to se every app in the list in order to get the app you want.
The new appstore has a very stupid and uneffitient design, I would recomend not to update to iOS 6 (they call that update…), you would regret it

September 23, 2012 at 11:57 pm
(6) Joleen says:

I am very disappointed in the fact that You tube is no longer available with the update to iOS 6. A shame that we weren’t made more aware that it would no longer be available. I am saddened also that we are not able to back up to the older version. Who wants to look at a “clock” in place of You tube. I am disappointed in this Update and am hesitant to do any more updates unless they add You tube back on. It is sad that I didn’t read the reviews relating to the new update – I MISS “YOU TUBE” please, please, please bring it back……………

September 26, 2012 at 4:23 am
(7) Your Lord says:

Joleen there is a YouTube app that is free to download and it’s not bad.
I brought the iPhone 5 and I have to agree the new AppStore layout is just utter crap. The icons are too big and it is difficult to see what you’re looking for.

September 26, 2012 at 7:26 pm
(8) James says:

In the old store new apps were listen by release date – now they are in alphabetical order and only a short list so you never get pas new apps that begin with A – this does not help!

September 26, 2012 at 8:52 pm
(9) Jasmine says:

So glad I found this article. I absolutely HATE, HAY-TAH the new app store design. Checking for NEW apps was always my favorite thing to do. Now, we can only see most popular or whatever, and those will probably always be the same, hence, the fact that they are so popular lol

October 2, 2012 at 2:21 am
(10) ie says:

Hate the new App Store. Will never buy another app again. I doN’t have time to scroll ONE by ONE through every app…

October 2, 2012 at 12:14 pm
(11) gus says:

absolutely hate new appstore, what is this new chart list… omg i really hate it, they change something what worked for years. what is this little text “what is new ” in updates… i think something is broken in apple company.

October 2, 2012 at 12:37 pm
(12) Debbie Houska says:

Hate it. Done buying apps & changing to a droid. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

October 3, 2012 at 12:46 pm
(13) P2noway says:

Just aweful .. Cannot do anything I want to anymore. Please allow downgrading to 5.1.1 or release iOS 6.0.1 and just take 5.1.1′s ideas and call it something new .. But please .. For the love of steve jobs .. Get rid of this mess of a release :(

October 7, 2012 at 2:36 am
(14) NUNU says:

I HATE the New App Store!!!!! Just please change it back!!!!!

October 9, 2012 at 2:12 am
(15) TimR says:

I didn’t even like the old App store either it was confusing and slow and laggy to use I was hoping a redesign would make it better but while the new one is a little better in some areas, they never fixed the slow and laggy search feature. in the old one where you review each one one by one in an upward swipe page by page and after looking inside a few apps for their details the app “forgets” the page you were on and brings you back to page 1 and start all over again and I had to count off the pages so i can remember which page i was on. the new one is even worse with a right to left swipe sideways and its so painfully slow and unresponsive with my finger swipes, and after reading app details or dl apps,, it too forgets the page you were on and returns you right back to page 1 and start all over again grrr

October 19, 2012 at 11:00 pm
(16) Ammon says:

I HATE the new app store. It keeps on crashing whenever i try to get an app and it takes forever whenever it doesn’t crash. I wish someone could read these comments and fix the new store.

October 20, 2012 at 2:43 pm
(17) LMC says:

Print is harder to read, software is bloated, sideways swipes take forever, much harder and more steps to browse than scrolling down which is so much more natural on a narrow devise.. Need to get smaller fingers now that category list has so little room between lines. What were they thinking? Was going to get iPad but may stick with Galaxy 2 tab even thought Plays Store not as good.. Write snail mail to Tim Cook on this issue. I did.

November 3, 2012 at 7:16 am
(18) Haggai says:

Ridiculous slow, that makes you want to scream!
I think Apple owe a huge apology for what they have done here!
Makes you think what you next device will be, Android? Windows?

November 22, 2012 at 9:50 pm
(19) BobS says:

Longtime Iphone ipad mac user. I HATE the new appstore. I used to enjoy perusing but now I never use ot. Obviously it was designed by a retard with no user testing. I also use and Android 4 tablet which is lousy too but Appstore search is The worst interface I have ever seen.. WTF??

November 28, 2012 at 4:34 pm
(20) Anthony says:

I agree totally with all the above comments. Lets get all our comments feedback over to Apple.

Anyone know the best place for us to go on the Apple site to leave comments?

Anthony
Songofunion@outlook.com

December 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm
(21) Rick says:

It absolutely does my head in why these companies insist on “fixing stuff that isn’t broken”. All these changes do is waste even more of my precious time trying to re-learn how to do everything again and cause frustration and annoyance. It totally sucks! Same goes for the new YouTube layout.
These businesses must have a hidden philosophy to frustrate, and drive away as many customers as they can. They’re doing a good job!

July 25, 2013 at 6:41 pm
(22) Someone says:

Apple is so shit. Stick with windows or better yet torrent everything. These companies have enough money. They don’t need anymore.

April 19, 2014 at 2:58 am
(23) Mkz says:

I HATE the New App Store!!!!! Just please change it back!!!!!