The New Apple iPad 3rd generation features a major upgrade to the original iPad and the iPad 2, with a display capable of generating twice the detail and a significant boost to speed. The iPad 3rd generation also features voice dictation, and for those with a need for speed, the new iPad is faster and supports 4G data networks on AT&T and Verizon.
iPad 3rd Gen Features: Key Details
- Dual-core A5X chipset with quad-core graphics processor
- 9.5 inches long and 7.31 inches wide, weighs 1.44-1.46 lbs and only 0.37 inches thick
- 2,048 x 1,536 resolution on a 9.7 inch LED backlight Multi-Touch display
- Back-facing iSight camera with 5 MP support and optics. Capable of 1080p video.
- Front-facing FaceTimecamera for video conferencing.
- 16 to 64 GB Flash storage
- 4G LTE, DC-HSDPA and HSPA support, with 4G support on both AT&T and Verizon
- Voice Dictation
- AirPlay video streaming to Apple TV 3rd generation at 1080p and Applet TV 2nd generation at 720p
- AirPlay Mirroring at 720p
- WiFi 802.11n, Bluetooth 4.0
- External speaker
- 30-pin connector
- 10 hours of battery life, 9 using 4G and 1 month standby
- Compatible with iPad apps and all iPhone apps
- iOS 5.1
iPad 3rd Generation : Worth the Upgrade?
The biggest difference most will notice is the new display, which is capable of twice as much detail as the original iPad and the iPad 2. Paired with an enhanced quad-core processor, and the iPad 3rd generation will be great for gaming. And with 4G support, it will also be the top mobile device for streaming video.
iPad 3rd Generation Pricing
The iPad 3rd generation features a similar pricing structure as the original iPad and the iPad 2, with two distinct models (4G and WiFi-only) and three different sizes for storage (16GB, 32GB, 64GB). Here is the pricing breakdown for the different models:
WiFi-only: $499 for the 16GB model, $599 for the 32 GB model and $699 for the 64 GB model
4G: $629 for the 16GB model, $729 for the 32 GB model and $829 for the 64 GB model