The iPad Air is Apple's new name for the 5th generation iPad, which is sometimes referred to as the "iPad 5" in the press. The new iPad Air is a full-fledged upgrade to the iPad 4, with a faster 64-bit A7 processor providing a 2x speed boost, the M7 motion co-processor introduced with the iPhone 5S, and MIMO Wi-Fi support, which allows multiple antennas to boost bandwidth over Wi-Fi.
The new iPad Air takes on the look and feel of the iPad Mini, becoming 20% thinner, 28% lighter and with a 43% smaller bezel, which is the area between the screen and the edge of the device. This makes it the lightest full-sized tablet in the world.
The iPad Air unveiling also coincided with Apple announcing their iWork and iLife suite of applications would be free on new iPads and iPhones. This means each iPad Air comes with Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand.
iPad Air Features:
- 1.4 Ghz 64-bit A7 chipset with quad-core graphics processor
- M7 motion co-processor
- 9.4 inches long and 6.67 inches wide, weighs 1 pound and only 0.3 inches thick
- 2,048 x 1,536 resolution (264 PPI)
- 9.7 inch LED backlight Multi-Touch display
- Back-facing iSight camera with 5 MP support and optics. Capable of 1080p video.
- Front-facing FaceTime HD camera for video conferencing.
- Choice of 16, 32, 64 or 128 GB Flash storage
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n with MIMO support
- 4G LTE
- Bluetooth 4.0
- Assisted-GPS (4G LTE model only)
- Proximity and ambient light sensors
- Dual Microphones
- Lightning connector
- External speaker
- 10 hours of battery life, depending on use
- iOS 7
iPad Air: Worth the Upgrade?
The iPad Air moves the iPad lineup to 64-bit architecture, which will make way for more powerful applications capable of competing with their desktop counterparts. But the move to the 64-bit architecture won't happen overnight. Owners of the most recent full-sized iPads, the iPad 3 and iPad 4, may want to wait until the next generation arrives.
iPad Air Pricing:
|16 GB||32 GB||64 GB||128 GB|
|Wi-Fi + 4G LTE||$629||$729||$829||$929|
Read More: How to Buy an iPad